23 January 2012

In Loving Remembrance


Let's start at the end of Lodoisca's life. Below you will see her prayer card that was handed out at her funeral or burial. From the card it seems like she was held in high-esteem by her family. My Auntie Dot told me that her name was spelt wrong on this card. Her name is spelt correctly in the title of this blog. The funeral mass was held at St. Jean Baptiste Church in Warren, Rhode Island and the burial was at St. Jean Baptiste Cemetery in Warren, Rhode Island. I love that this card has a picture of my great-great-great-grandmother Lodoisca and that there is such a heartfelt poem written on it. I feel like it helps me to get to know her a little better because from this document I can see a glimpse of what others thought of her. It looks like others thought very highly of her and I can just imagine that she influenced many lives for good. I know that she has influenced my life for good and that I owe so much to her and to all of my ancestors. Their efforts and hard work are why I am who I am today. Stay tuned for more stories and documents that tell me stories about my third great grandmother and her family members. I'm excited to use this blog to reflect on information I have collected about my ancestors and really get to know them better!

5 comments:

  1. That is too bad about the spelling mistake. What a great picture! Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first time I have seen a prayer card used at a funeral. I guess you are always learning. Thanks for the post. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great document to have and be able to share with your family. Thanks for posting a copy of it. Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finding documents like this, along with obituaries, is exciting! I remember finding obituaries of some of my ancestors. It brings a whole new light to the person. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's a message to Jan from my Auntie Dot! :

    Hi, Jan,

    Prayer Cards are usually given by the Funeral Home. You can include a picture, a poem with your own words, or select something from the Funeral Home. The cards are printed by them, and left near the sign-in desk for visitors to take home with them. They are also enclosed in thank-you
    for those people who were unable to visit the funeral home.
    Some are shaped like book marks, are laminated, etc.
    Funeral cards or prayer cards have been used as far back as the late 1500's.

    -Dot

    ReplyDelete